Saturday, October 20, 2012

Why I Hate Neighborhood Trunk-or-Treats

In my neighborhood every year the church puts on a "Trunk-or-Treat" on the weekend prior to Halloween. Everyone in the neighborhood is invited to come to the church parking lot in costumes with their cars decorated. The kids go from car to car trick-or-treating, collecting candy and showing off their costumes. Afterward, everyone is welcome to enjoy donuts and hot chocolate before going home (because a bucket of candy isn't enough sweets).

I don't have a problem with the concept. I think it's a fun, cheap alternative to a carnival or even a neighborhood party. The kids enjoy it and it's good to involve the whole community in an activity. 

BUT... it isn't held on Halloween night. Which brings me to my two complaints.

1- I don't want my children getting large-ish bags of sugary loot two nights in one week. So I'm put in the position of either not attending the neighborhood party OR not letting my kids trick-or-treat on Halloween. Rock? Meet hard place. Not to mention that I wouldn't want my children to go around on Halloween to beg for more candy from the very same people who just gave them candy at the Trunk-or-Treat. Greedy much?

2- I can't really afford to buy enough candy to provide enough for both the Trunk-or-Treat and for Halloween night trick-or-treaters. Plus, the opposite of what I said above: should I really prepare to give out double candy to the kids in the neighborhood?


Here's what I propose instead:
If you are going to hold a Trunk-or-Treat, make it on Halloween night. If you must do an activity on a night not Halloween, turn it into a carnival or a pot-luck harvest party or a costume parade/party, not a candy-fest.

And that's my two cents.

No comments: