Monday, October 29, 2012

Common Cold Killer

I assume people know things I know, because I don't consider myself the best-informed person in my social circle, but now and then I'm the first of my friends/family to use a product that turns out to be brilliant

Only this isn't one of those times. In this case, my brother Danny told me about this product. So I can't claim finder's bragging rights. Oh well. I can still share the awesomeness with you!


As you know, I work in a school, the single germiest place in town, aside from the gas station bathrooms, and especially at the beginning of the school year, it seems like I'm frequently fighting off infections. 
Years ago, a teacher created a product called "Airborne" which is a vitamin/mineral formula, sold as little orange (and other flavored) discs that dissolve in water to make a little fizzy drink. It is effective in boosting your immune system and fighting off colds. It is, however, fairly expensive if you are taking it 2-3 times a day for multiple days to ward off lurking cold symptoms. Thankfully, there is an alternative that is much more affordable and just as effective:
 
Emergen-C is sold as a flavored powder in little foil packs that also dissolves in water to make a fizzy drink. It's also a formula of vitamins and minerals specifically formulated to support the immune system, and I've found it very effective in preventing my body from going into full-blown nasty cold mode. If I start taking Emergen-C within a few hours of the initial onset of symptoms (for example, if I wake up with a slight sore throat or my nose is runny), then take it 2-3 times a day until symptoms disappear, it usually prevents me from even really getting the cold. At the very least, it shortens the duration and severity of colds. So check it out!

No comments: