Friday, August 16, 2013

Easy Delicious Chicken Enchiladas

Every time I make these, my husband mentions that they're better than anything you can get in a restaurant. 

Of course, they are my own combination of ingredients that are probably not even remotely authentic Mexican, but taste really good together. In the interest of full disclosure, I did get some of the ideas used in making these from other recipes, but some things are ALL ME!! 

Enchiladas are relatively easy to make, but do take a little time commitment, so I don't make them on days we have a gazillion activities plus work. That means I don't make them hardly ever. 
Enchilada Sauce in the sprayed pan

Spray an 11x14 baking pan with cooking spray, then drizzle enchilada sauce in the bottom, if you have extra (not necessary). I ended up needing an 9x9 square pan, too. Preheat your oven to 350.

Ingredients:
Chicken breasts-- I used 3 for this batch- one large, one medium-sized and one tiny one. (You can also use left over chicken, left over turkey, etc.)

Tortillas- I use the bigger 10-inch kind. I had one bag of fresh-made sold at Winco, and another bag of less-healthy and authentic Don Julio brand. They roll nicely and taste good, so don't judge me.
Enchilada Sauce- We sometimes use red, but I prefer green. I like "medium" heat so you get a little kick
White Rice- About 1 cup uncooked
Cream of Chicken Soup- 1 can
Sour Cream- about 1/4 cup (Optional)
Cheddar cheese-- somewhere between 1/2 to 1 pound, depending on your taste
Sometimes we also use Pepper Jack cheese, but I didn't have any tonight. You can also have extra on hand for sprinkling on top, if you like.
Spices:
Black Pepper
Garlic Salt
Onion Powder
Chili Powder
Cumin

1. Cook your rice. I have a rice cooker, so that's how I roll. I start it, then move on to the rest of the work while it bubbles.
After Mostly Scooped Out
2. Pour some olive oil into your pan and drop in the chicken breasts. Season with a good sprinkling of all spices listed
the above. Cook for a while, until one side is done, then flip and season the other side. When it's done, chop it up!  Alternatively, you can chop the raw chicken and cook it faster. 
Chicken
3. While the chicken and rice cook, grate your cheese and start dumping all the ingredients except seasonings (and tortillas, obviously) into a big bowl. You only need 1/2 the can of sauce if your can is as large as the one pictured. If you have a smaller can, use the whole thing.
Chicken, Cheese, Soup, Rice
4. When the rice is done, dump it into the bowl of deliciousness. Mix well.
Enchilada Filling w/all ingredients
5. Scoop between 2/3 and 3/4 cup of filling into your tortilla in a line down the center
Scooped and Ready



Fold then Roll
6. Fold up two ends of the line of filling, then roll up the other way and put into the pan. Keep going until the pan is full- you can squish them in tight or not. I like them to be cozy but not smashing each other.



All Tucked In
7. You can leave them bare, drizzle extra sauce on top or sprinkle with cheese (or both!!)


8. Bake until bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.
Enchilada Party!
I like to eat these with sour cream. My husband eats them with Sriracha sauce (available everywhere), and my kids eat them just as they are. 

Enjoy!

No comments: