Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Three Cool Things 11/13/13

I've got a mixed bag for you today, but all three are things I like a lot.


1. Archie McPhee
This fun online store reminds me of something I can't put my finger on from my childhood. It could just be that the style of most of their products are nostalgic, though they are ahead of most pop culture trends. They had bacon candy and air fresheners before bacon became BACON. They had zombies before they became cool. If you like quirky, unique gift items, Archie McPhee is the place to shop.

2. Writing Excuses Podcast
If any of you, like me, are aspiring authors, you will want to start listening to Writing Excuses. Two of the four authors who create the podcast are among my most favorite- Brandon Sanderson and Dan Wells, who are both from Utah. I don't know anything about the other two (Mary Robinette Kowel and Howard Taylor), except what I've learned from listening to the podcast. 

The podcasts are only about 15 minutes long. They're witty, fast-paced and always offer very good advice for writers. Plus, it's fun to listen to the authors banter a little. 

3. Overdrive
Much like Oneclick Digital, which I told you about a few weeks ago, Overdrive is a resource for free audiobooks through your library. What's extra cool, though, is that Overdrive also has ebooks available for checkout. If you have a Kindle, Nook, iPad or other device on which you would like to read a book, Overdrive is an excellent resource. Ask your library about it. In Utah, it can be accessed from this link, but you will need an access code from your library (plus your library card #) to be able to check out books. 
Overdrive has many titles that Oneclick doesn't have (and vice versa), and they have the same type of feature where you can place a hold on an item that isn't currently available, then you'll receive an email when it's your turn. Easy peasy. 

Unless I have a specific book I'm waiting for, I like to search for titles using Advanced Search and click the box to search only titles with copies available. 


If you have suggestions for 3 cool things, send me an email at curioussoup@gmail.com

No comments: