Wednesday, May 2, 2012

There's An App for That

There's a great little app for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad called "myfitnesspal". It's also available online here. With this app, you can set goals for weight loss, daily calorie consumption, etc. Then, each day you use the diary to enter what you've eaten (and drunk) and all your physical activity, to see where you end up. There is also a social aspect-- you can have "friends" whose progress you follow, and who can see yours as well. 
A year ago, I started using it to track my calories and exercise, after being invited by my sister. After using it a while, however, I started feeling rebellious. I remember thinking "you can't tell me what to do!" So I stopped using it. I didn't like the feeling of accountability (even only to myself) and being able to see just how bad my diet is... and it is bad. This morning I had a Fiber One bar and a handful of salt & vinegar Pringles for breakfast. And orange juice. That counts for something, right?


However... recently, I've lost about a size and a half, just from not eating as much or as frequently (my full time job has really taken over my life) and I realized that even feeling skinnier, I have absolutely no endurance. If I had to climb a mountain or run a mile, I would make it about 10 steps and fall down dead. 


So I've reinstalled myfitnesspal and I'm trying again. I went for a walk today, thinking I would take a quick 20-minute walk and warm up to doing so a few times a week. I made it 10 minutes. Sigh... Mostly the problem was that my feet and ankles felt extremely itchy and funny in my socks and walking shoes. I think I need better equipment... but it's a start. 


I don't weigh myself-- I never have, but I do notice when my pants are too loose or snug. I'm hoping to get down another size and a half and fit back into my pre-fourth-child jeans. Fingers crossed...

No comments: