Thursday, December 26, 2013

Three Decidedly Uncool Things

I'm out of sync right now and haven't been keeping up on my blogs at the rate I was hoping to sustain. No surprise, really. My body seems to be having some issues. So this week, instead of three cool things, I give you Three Not Cool Things:



image from www.beverlyhillscardiology.com
#1- I had a bunch of bloodwork done about a month ago, and everything came back normal-- thyroid, liver count, blood counts, hormones, etc. except I have a "very high" ASO (strep) titer floating around inside me. Even though I can't remember the last time I had actual Strep Throat. I'm not entirely sure what that means, except that they ran a second test to confirm whether I'm a strep carrier. This might explain my all the time, every day forever fatigue problem. This is the same thing that showed up 8-ish years ago when I first went in for blood tests. Weirdness. I have another doc. appt. next week, and hopefully she can shed some light on what this means and maybe have some ideas of what I can do to get rid of it and get some energy back. (She put me on a 28-day cycle of Amoxicillin, btw.)

Oh, and P.S.- don't go looking on the internet for information on an incomplete diagnosis. You will inevitably learn the following: 1- you are dying, 2- lots of people have your same symptoms and NOTHING helps and 3- you have cancer. And will die. 


image from http://whollyholistics.com/
#2- I am living proof right now that antibiotics DO NOT CURE VIRUSES. It has bothered me for years that I know people who have cold/flu symptoms and go to the doctor for antibiotics. Um. Nope. Doesn't work that way. Case in point: me. I'm on Amoxicillin (see #1 above) and have been for a while, but I have still come down with my annual "It's Winter Break, so NOW I can get Sick" head cold. Ugh. I made it through Christmas okay, but I'm paying for it now, I guess. It's funny how a cold can make me completely unproductive. I think I'm "resting", but really I'm just killing time and blowing my nose a gazillion times an hour. Again: Ugh. 

Okay. That's really all I've got. I don't feel well, and I'm generally a positive person, so I can't think of a third not cool thing. I do hope you have a good last week of the year and an even better 2014. I plan to. 

No comments: