Friday, July 26, 2013

Flipping Good Cheesesteak Sandwiches

 from food.com
I had my heart set on trying a recipe for slow cooker cheesesteak sandwiches this week, but last week, my cooker committed suicide, so I had to find another way. I dug around a bunch of recipes on the web, read lots of opinions (Cheeze Whiz?? Really?? Nothankyou...) and decided what I wanted to do. I'm writing it here, not just to share it with you, but because I want to go back and make it again soon, it was that delicious. 

Since I wrote this recipe in an untraditional fashion, I've highlighted all the ingredients in orange. If that bugs you, sorry. Just read the whole thing before you begin and you should be fine.

Turn on the broiler to pre-heat, get out a baking sheet. 
Prepare garlic mayo by mixing 1 cup mayonnaise and 2-3 cloves of minced garlic (I use the kind in a jar). Put in fridge until ready for sandwiches.

2-3 lb. London Broil (Macey's had these on sale for $2.99/lb this week-- it's our go-to meat for roasts, jerky, fajitas and stew. It's lean and delicious and reasonably priced when it's on sale. I usually buy a bunch of them. For these sandwiches, ask the butcher to slice the meat very thin for you.)

Put the meat slices into a bowl or zip bag with the following to marinate: 
Olive oil (no more than enough to toss the meat in and coat all pieces)
Meat Tenderizer (basically salt w/other stuff- great for steaks)
Garlic Powder
Black Pepper
I let it sit and marinate on the counter for about 30 minutes, to bring the meat to room temp. You don't have to do that, though. 

1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 onion
Slice these into thin strips and toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper. I let this sit for about 1 hour.

I got out our big griddle, so I could cook a lot at once, but you can do this in a skillet on the stove, too, if you prefer. I dumped the veggies on one side of the griddle and let them cook for a few minutes. When they started getting limp, I started cooking scoops of the meat about a sandwich-worth at a time. Flip it when it is still red on the top, so it doesn't over cook. I imagined what cooks do in restaurants, and sort of chopped at the meat with my spatula as it finished cooking- trying to only cook it to about medium/medium-rare. 


from blogchef.net
Toss the meat and veggies together (I used an aluminum bowl), then assemble sandwiches.

I bought hoagie rolls at Winco-- they have a large bag of them (that are super fresh on Wednesday mornings, I've discovered!). They are chewy and crusty and soft and very good for these sandwiches. 


To prepare the sandwiches, slice the rolls open, spread garlic mayo on each side and then pile on the meat/veggie mixture on one side. Lay slices of Provolone Cheese across the meat, then lay it open-face on the baking sheet and broil until the cheese melts and the bun is heated nicely.

Confession: I TOTALLY didn't take any pictures as I cooked and devoured these last night. I also didn't take any before I inhaled one for lunch today. I should have. I will try to remember to do so next time, because mine looked and tasted better than either of the photos I borrowed from the web. I did cite the sources, though, if you want to go find their recipes and try them. You might be disappointed, though, as mine is the best. Seriously. Amazing sandwiches. I'm stuffed with the one I just ate and I still want more... that's saying something.

No comments: