Monday, November 19, 2012

My Mickey Mouse Collection

Happy Thanksgiving!!
My brother Danny is a Disneyland fanatic like me; he used to live in Orange County, CA and even though he lives in Utah again, he still maintains an annual pass to "The Happiest Place on Earth". 

Lucky for me, he is generous to his sisters and always brings us back an antenna ball or two when he goes out there. Between his gifts and the handful I bought when I was there in 2008, I have acquired 29!! How cool is that. I don't have a display cabinet or shelf for them, but I am mulling over how to make one that would be nice enough to show them off-- even just in my bedroom. I am not terribly crafty nor handy, but I think I could make something with some wood, paint and tiny dowels... I want something classy, not hokey or cluttery. That's the trick with any collection, I suppose.


Over the years, they have had some adventures. The sunshine one got destroyed so badly it simply had to be replaced (thanks to Danny's generous friend) because I left it on and went through a car wash. Ahem... (I could write a whole blog of all the stupid things I do, but this was a particularly frustrating one.) It's one of my favorites-- just look at those cute sunglasses!!


The Easter egg with Donald's feet sticking out experienced some distress and lost a foot. Luckily, they sold them again another year and Danny got me another. 


The snowman one is no longer white, thanks to Utah's inversion-laden air in the winter. I'm considering taking a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and gently trying to clean it. Haven't yet, though... 

The pink cupcake with Minnie's ears and bow got pulled off my van and put on a co-worker's car at the public library last February. There are a group of tweens who hang out there regularly and they thought they were being funny. I did not agree. Luckily, it was an easy recovery. 


And recently, I had the scarecrow Mickey on my van for fall and he lost an arm. I don't know where or how, but I've decided that between these myriad injuries and the risk of a student stealing one (I work at an elementary school now), I don't have one on my van anymore. Too bad. 

But I digress. My point (and I do have one) is that one of the two Danny brought back last month for us sisters is my new very favorite. It's unique and funny and geeky and adorable. I give you:
Robot Mickey!! So cute! I love the retro colors and the little spiraly connector thing and the bolts on the side and the detail on the eyes and ears and the little mouth- adorable. 
The darling gingerbread Mickey below is the other one he gave me last week. Sweet!!
 

FYI- in the interest of full disclosure, all the smaller photos on today's post are from the internet. The larger three I took in my kitchen. One day, when I figure out the way to display them best, I will photograph them all. Because I know you are just dying to see them.

While I'm at it, I'll show you a slideshow of our last vacation and baby pictures of my cats! Bwahahahaaaa!

No comments: