Friday, November 16, 2012

Speaking of Soup Part 2

Tonight's soup was a huge success, so I thought I would share the recipe with you! Aren't you lucky? Yes. Yes you are.

I started out with a soup recipe from Allrecipes and modified it A LOT. Because my family likes flavor and the recipe seemed like it might be bland. So instead of giving you their version, I'll just give you mine. I humbly and happily present:


Scrumptious Veggie Soup
Ingredients:
 
1 lb. ground beef
½ white or yellow onion, diced
½ red bell pepper
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
3-4 red potatoes, diced
2 cans beef broth
handful of frozen green beans
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
kosher salt
pepper
minced garlic
onion powder
Italian seasoning
granulated garlic
¾ cup water (more if you need it)

Lightly spray a frying pan with cooking spray (or drizzle a little olive oil), sautee the onions, pepper, celery and carrot until the onion is clear. Transfer to a soup pot. Using the same frying pan, brown the ground beef. Add to the soup pot with all the other ingredients—(spices to taste- I used a lot and it was wonderful*) and heat to a light boil, cover then simmer until potatoes are soft, about 30-45 minutes. Makes about 8-10 servings.

So yummy!! The flavors blended together nicely and the beef broth and tomatoes added a hearty goodness. Using red potatoes is paramount because they hold together and don't get mushy. My husband said I should have thrown in a can of peas. I told him I would rather slit my wrists. (Canned peas caused me childhood trauma. One day I shall tell you of it...)

I served it with fresh homemade rolls, using a recipe I got from a friend of mine. I usually make Lion House Rolls, but tonight I went with a faster recipe and they came out beautifully! I will try and post that recipe later. Time is ticking and I must join the family for movie night!!

Questions? *Want to know how I know just the right amount of spices to add? Ask in the comments!

And if you make the soup, please comment and tell me what you thought. I thought it was delicious.

No comments: