Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Curly Hair Tips and Tricks

I have naturally curly hair. I can't ever say that without hearing the Peanuts character, Frieda, saying it... but I digress. Sometimes, I have really curly hair. Sometimes frizzy, non-compliant hair that wishes it was straight but isn't willing to commit. Over the years, I've learned a few tips and tricks that seem to be helping my argumentative curls to conform a bit more to what I want them to look like. I thought I would share them here for anyone else trying to figure out how to tame their locks. These tips and products may not work on all hair types, but I think they are valuable to anyone with curly hair. This is me on a decent hair day. Don't laugh, I hate photos of myself, but I liked my hair that day enough to let my son shoot one.

To maximize the curl in your hair, you need to buy good quality products, but that doesn't mean high-end, break-the-bank products. I have had some luck with the Suave line, but have recently decided they were flaking in my hair, making me look like I have dandruff, and I don't. So I switched to the Tresemme Flawless Curls line. There are pics below of all the products I use. They aren't terribly expensive-- I'm on a tight budget, and I can't afford the better brands, but I like these better than Suave by far.

These are the tips. Most of them come from THIS BOOK, but I've adapted them to work for me. First, only wash once or twice a week with shampoo. The other days, just condition your hair generously. I recently bought a wide-tooth comb, which I use in the shower to help the conditioner get to all my hair. Rinse your hair in the coolest water you can stand. The book says that cold water helps the curls "fuse" (my word, not hers) together and helps have less frizz. I don't always do this step, because I'm a wimp.

Curly hair requires lots of scrunching and if you have the patience, a hair dryer with diffuser helps the scrunching be more effective. I don't have patience for this, because my hair is super thick and my time is always short, so I just scrunch with my hands.

Immediately after showering, I towel scrunch the majority of the water out of my hair, then apply the Tresemme creme, smoothing it over and under my hair. Using the wide-tooth comb again here is a good idea, but not necessary.

Then scrunch with a t-shirt. It's soft and kinder to your hair than terrycloth. Good tip, right? Same book.  I think. In fact, maybe you should just go buy that book. Now. Run.

Okay, after the creme sits on my hair for a few minutes, I apply the Tresemme mousse, one section at a time-- left side, back, then right side, scrunching all the way. I let that sit for a short time, then lightly spray on some gel, scrunching with the t-shirt again.

And that's about it! Here are pics of the products I recommend:





2 comments:

Angie said...

Thanks for the awesome tips and product recommendations, I will be trying some of this out.

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! Let me know how it goes!!