Saturday, March 17, 2012

Peanut Butter and Secret Snackiness

Following my post about healthy food, this may seem odd, but I'm going to share with you my secret favorite sneaky snack. First, you have to buy good stuff like quality peanut butter, only the best milk chocolate chips (I use the Guittard brand... so good... and so large...) and your favorite graham crackers. Can you guess where I'm going with this? Good.

This week, in the interest of healthier eating and not so much preservative-nastiness, I picked up some Kirkland brand natural peanut butter at Costco. It's ingredients list is mercifully short: peanuts and salt. Good enough for me! It has to be refrigerated, because of the said lack of preservatives.

Tonight I made my favorite snack and put it on a plate that had only recently exited the dishwasher, and to my amusement, the pb has slowly started oozing over the edges of the crackers. This is in large part due to the fact that I love me some pb and took a nice thick layer.  So good, though I will have to adjust to the flavor of the new peanut butter. My favorite brand is Jif, which is kind of costy for a budget-crazy family, so I've been settling for the WalMart store brand. It's probably a good thing to shift to a healthier brand, but it does taste a bit different.

Our dishwasher should like it, though. For about a year, many a finished load of dishes has included an unclean butter knife with nasty, crusty, baked-on peanut butter that the hottest hot water and soapiest soap couldn't manage to dislodge. I always have to wash my pb knives by hand; the poor dishwasher can't seem to win the battle of the peanut butter. My husband pointed out that if it doesn't dissolve in the dishwasher, what is it doing to our insides? Good point...


No comments: