Thursday, March 15, 2012

I have been researching healthier eating recently and the online advice is all over the place! There is no right answer, just lie down and give up. And hand me the Oreos.

I love it when a blogger, writer, know-it-all or other food commentator says something like, "our ancestors never ate sugar or refined blah blah blah". True. I agree. There are many things in the modern diet that are so not good for us, and the vast majority of it came about in the last 70 years or so. What gets me is that three paragraphs later these same opinion-sharers say something like, "The body gets its healthy fats from unsaturated oils, nuts, seeds, avocado and oily fish like salmon and tuna." Okay, but what if your ancestors didn't have things like avocado, nuts or salmon? What if they were from inland somewhere and ate potatoes and sheep? And for the record, many of our ancestors ate breads. Even "leavened" bread... but bread is now considered an enemy to the healthy.

I lean more toward a logical approach. If it's been highly processed in a factory, it's probably not good for you. Don't eat very much. If it leans more toward "natural" (a tag word that's starting to drive me up the wall), it's probably okay. Obviously fruit, veggies, eggs and meat are okay. People choose not to eat meat, but really, it's not bad for you, and has health benefits.


I'm starting with two universally accepted modern baddies:
  1. Soda pop. I really think soda is the devil. I don't drink it very often, but my family loves it. The children only have it every few weeks, but hubby drinks it daily. It's vile, nasty, wicked stuff that destroys you from the inside... so the war begins with soda.
  2. High Fructose Corn Syrup. It's in nearly everything, so this will be an uphill battle, but I think I can win, one drop at a time... I can make homemade bbq sauce, salad dressing and even mayonnaise (maybe those backyard chickens are a good thing after all), and labels? I'll be watching you... 
After that, who knows? Maybe I'll take on Big Twinkie.

Nah, don't worry, no lawsuits from me. This is a private war. I promise not to try and take your Girl Scout Cookies. If you promise not to take mine. 

No comments: